Tuesday, April 28, 2009

a fight on two fronts

A friend of mine, Anne Morgellyn, is fighting a battle on two fronts, against cancer and against incompetent NHS services. A distinguished writer and academic, she is a single parent with a highly talented daughter, Cara, a student at Christ's Hospital. Reading Anne's blog is a humbling experience, so strong is her fighting spirit and refusal to take her illness and poor NHS response to it lying down; see http://www.topicofcancer.blogspot.com

I have my own memories of NHS incompetence --in my case my late wife's GP (now retired) at the same surgery in Truro. Anne praises highly the clinicians who have treated her; her complaint is against slothful, untrained receptionists, poor communication and dirty, depressing waiting rooms. If anyone has had similar bad experiences, do get in touch with her via her blog.

1 comment:

Anne Morgellyn said...

Thank you for your support, Don (I wrote Fon - typing increasingly whacko, thanks to brain lesion (this is Anne Morgellyn, the sorry victim of numpty culture...And just as my Onc said I was doing so well

Numoty culture has compromised my quality of life as a cencer patient LIVING (I hope) long term with the condition within the community. I will always be under the hospital; but the protocol is that e don't bother the Cinicians with a 'virus' (viruses are the GPs domain - and I do feel sorry for them, in some wise, having to deal with whingeing hypochondriacs like my sodding mother....who has tamed her GP to the extetnt of getting him to bandage - yes BANDAGE - the bleed from her blood test...his way of accommodating a nuretic old bag, I guess. But I am a cancer patient, and it's not rocket sciene (even for GP receptionist, surely), that cancer patients have low immunity, thanks to our Treatment plans (chemo weakens you in ways you can't imagine until a virus rages....I had inflmmation on the brain (menenges) following a flu virus before Christmas. It is a well known fact that cancer cells can feed off inflammation. But my GP told me, over the ohone (never offered to come out) that I should go down to the surgery for a flu jab, when I was feeling better.

This is why cancer patients, having had first class, first line treatment from our excellent local hopital, are suffering in the community - and even dying. And this is why this sinister way of practising medicine (gettng uneducated numpty women, handpicked Rottweiler bitches to sheild the lazy-arsed GPs from their wretched patients) needs challenging.

Anne Morgellyn
Cancer Patient (secondary brain lesion - not picked up by GP throughout a long miserable winter of ringing surgery and not being able to get through. He said it was labyrintitis - but he never even SAW me. 'You're perfectly lucid, he said on the phone. And then I got a bloody brain tumour!